Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу
The subject index / St. Petersburg Museum of History

St. Petersburg Museum of History

Categories / Science. Education/Museums

STATE ST. PETERSBURG MUSEUM OF HISTORY was established in 1938 as the Museum of History and Development of Leningrad. It is a successor of the City Museum and of the Old St. Petersburg Museum. It was called the Leningrad Museum of History in 1955-91. Rumyantsev's House was given to the museum in 1938. The collections were evacuated to Sarapul at the beginning of the Great Patriotic War of 1941-45. In 1953, the funds were supplemented with the materials of the abolished Museum of Leningrad Defence (see the Leningrad Defence and Blockade Museum). Since 1954, Peter and Paul Fortress has been managed by the museum. In 1955, the museum opened the first part of the exhibition on the History of St. Petersburg-Petrograd-Leningrad in 1703-1917. The first full historical exhibitions appeared in 1957, during the celebration of the 250th anniversary of Leningrad. The halls dedicated to the heroic defence of Leningrad in 1941-44 were opened in Rumyantsev House in the same year. The renovated exhibition on History of St. Petersburg-Petrograd 1703-1917 was opened in the Commandant's House in December 1975. This exhibition included exhibits telling about the foundation of St. Petersburg and about its history as the Russian capital. In 1965, Oreshek Fortress became a branch of the museum. In 1980; the Museum Apartment of Alexander Blok (57 Dekabristov Street) also became a branch of the museum. In 1971, the exhibition Architecture of St. Petersburg-Petrograd in the 18th - beginning of the 20th centuries was opened in the Engineers' House of Ss. Peter-and-Paul Fortress. In 1973, the memorial exhibition on History of Soviet Rocket Building was opened in the building of Ioann Ravelin. The funds of the museum contained over 1 million objects in 2002, including the collection of plans of St. Petersburg of the 18th -20th centuries, original drafts by St. Petersburg architects, numerous documents, photos, furniture, pieces of arts and crafts, etc. In 2001, the exhibition entitled New Economic Policy, dedicated to the events of the middle of the 1920s was opened in Rumyantsev House. The museum publishes Regional Studies Notes and Works.

References: Степанов С. Д. Крепость и люди // Музей и город. СПб., 1993. С. 37-41. (Арс; № 2); Павелкина А. М. От Музея Старого Петербурга к Государственному музею истории Санкт-Петербурга // Тр. Гос. Музея истории С.-Петербурга: Исслед. и материалы. СПб., 1997. Вып. 2. С. 9-17; Музеи Санкт-Петербурга и Ленинградской области: Справ. СПб., 2002; Государственный музей истории Санкт-Петербурга: Новые поступления, 1992-2002: Кат. выст. СПб., 2003.

O. A. Chekanova.

Blok G.P.
Rumyantsev Nikolay Petrovich, Count

Dekabristov St./Saint Petersburg, city, house 57
Петропавловская крепость

Степанов С. Д. Крепость и люди // Музей и город. СПб., 1993
Музеи Санкт-Петербурга и Ленинградской области: Справ. СПб., 2002
Павелкина А. М. От Музея Старого Петербурга к Государственному музею истории Санкт-Петербурга // Тр. Гос. музея истории С.-Петербурга: Исслед. и материалы. СПб., 1997

The subject Index
City Museum
Museum of Old Petersburg
Leningrad Defence and Blockade Museum
St. Peter and Paul fortress
Commandant's House
Shlisselburg Fortress.
Blok's Memorial Flat


Alexeevsky Ravelin

ALEXEEVSKY RAVELIN, an outer fortification of Peter and Paul fortress, situated in its western part, before Vasilievskaya curtain wall. The ravelin was named so in honour of Tsar Alexey Mikhaylovich. It was built in 1733-40 (engineer C.A. Munnich, C

Angliiskaya Embankment

ANGLIISKAYA EMBANKMENT, from 1738 - Beregovaya Nizhnaya Embankment Street, in the mid-to-late 18th century - Isaakievskaya Embankment, Galernaya Embankment, and Anglinskaya Embankment, from 1800s - Angliiskaya Embankment

Belova L.N. (1924-1993), Director of the Museum of Leningrad History

BELOVA Lyudmila Nikolaevna (1924-1993, St. Petersburg), museum worker, Honorary Worker of Culture of the Russian Soviet Federative Socialist Republic (1965). Graduated from the Faculty of History of the M. N

Cathedral of the Renewal of the Jerusalem Holy Resurrection Temple

CATHEDRAL OF THE RENEWAL OF THE JERUSALEM HOLY RESURRECTION TEMPLE, Smolny Сathedral, the Cathedral For All Educational Establishments, located at 1 Rastrelli Square. Monument of Baroque architecture

Commandant's House

COMMANDANT'S HOUSE, the commandant's residence at Peter and Paul Fortress. The first wooden Commandant's house was constructed in 1704. In 1718, it was replaced by a new building


DECEMBRISTS, members of secret societies, mainly, Guard officers and Masonic lodge members, who excited a rebellion against autocracy and serfdom in December 1825 (hence the name). Many of the future Decembrists were born in St

Gas Dynamics Laboratory

GAS DYNAMICS LABORATORY, the first national research and development organisation specialising in space technology. It was founded in Moscow in 1921 as N. I. Tikhomirov's Laboratory for Development of Inventions

Grand Princes’ Burial Vault

GRAND PRINCES’ BURIAL VAULT is an architectural monument situated in the territory of Peter and Paul Fortress, an extension to the north-eastern part of SS. Peter&Paul Cathedral

Kraevedcheskie Zapiski (Notes of Regional Ethnography), periodical

KRAEVEDCHESKIE ZAPISKI (Notes of Regional Ethnography), a historic and ethnographic almanac published from 1993 until 2003 by the Museum of St. Petersburg History (eight issues). It contained articles and materials on various aspects of St

Kurbatov V.Y., (1878-1957), Chemist, Regional Ethnographer

KURBATOV Vladimir Yakovlevich (1878, St. Petersburg - 1957, Leningrad) chemist, art historian, regional ethnographer. Upon graduating from the Faculty of Physics and Mathematics of the St

Leningrad Defence and Blockade Museum

LENINGRAD DEFENCE AND BLOCKADE MUSEUM, State Memorial (9 Solyanoy Lane) was established in the early 1942 by the decree of the Military Soviet of the Leningrad Front and of the City Committee of the All-Union Communist Party (Bolsheviks) as the

Museum of History of the Press

ST. PETERSBURG MUSEUM OF HISTORY OF THE PRESS (32/2 Moika River Embankment), a branch of the Museum of St. Petersburg History. The Museum was opened 25.1.1984 as Lenin and Pravda Museum in the premises which from 5(18) March to 5(18) July 1917

Museum of Old Petersburg

MUSEUM OF OLD PETERSBURG, founded in October 1907, attached to the Society of Architects and Artists. A. N. Benois, the first director of the museum, was simultaneously at the head of a special commission for studying and describing St

Shlisselburg Fortress.

SHLISSELBURG FORTRESS (until 1612, named Oreshek, until 1702, Noteborg), an old Russian fortress on Orekhovy Island, at the Neva's headwaters on Lake Ladoga. It was founded by Novgorod residents in 1323

SS. Peter and Paul Cathedral

SS. PETER AND PAUL CATHEDRAL (Cathedral of the Apostles Peter and Paul), an architectural monument in the style of the Petrine Baroque. The cathedral was constructed in 1712-33 (by architect D

St. Panteleimon Church

ST. PANTELEIMON CHURCH, the Church of St. Panteleimon the Great Martyr and Healer located at 2a Pestelya Street/ 17 Solyanoy Lane. An architectural monument, consecrated in the name of St