Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу
The subject index / Commandant's House

Commandant's House

Categories / Architecture/Architectural Monuments/Apartment Buildings

COMMANDANT'S HOUSE, the commandant's residence at Peter and Paul Fortress. The first wooden Commandant's house was constructed in 1704. In 1718, it was replaced by a new building. A stone Commandant's house was built in 1743-1746 (military engineer J. de Maren). The upper residential floor stands on a high semi-basement; the walls are finished with dummy joints and decorated with vertical projections. In 1750, the outbuilding was connected with the main building with the help of two wings, as the result the complex became a closed quadrangle. The building has been reconstructed several times since. It was in the Commandant's House that Decembrists (1826) and members of Petrashevsky Circle (1849) were investigated and tried, there the trials of D.V. Karakozov (1866) and A.K. Solovyev (1879) were also held. In October 1917, the building was used as the headquarters of the armed revolt. Since 1975, the edifice has housed an exhibition of the Museum of St. Petersburg History.

Y. M. Piryutko.

Marine Jean

Степанов С. Д. Санкт-Петербургская Петропавловская крепость: История проектирования и стр-ва. СПб., 2000

The subject Index
St. Peter and Paul fortress
St. Peter and Paul fortress
Petrashevsky Circle
St. Petersburg Museum of History



DECEMBRISTS, members of secret societies, mainly, Guard officers and Masonic lodge members, who excited a rebellion against autocracy and serfdom in December 1825 (hence the name). Many of the future Decembrists were born in St

St. Peter and Paul fortress

ST. PETER AND PAUL FORTRESS, the historical centre of St. Petersburg, a monument of military engineering, the oldest engineering and architectural sight of the city

St. Petersburg Museum of History

STATE ST. PETERSBURG MUSEUM OF HISTORY was established in 1938 as the Museum of History and Development of Leningrad. It is a successor of the City Museum and of the Old St. Petersburg Museum. It was called the Leningrad Museum of History in 1955-91