Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу
The subject index /

The White Tower (an ensemble of the Alexander Park).

Categories / Tsarskoe Selo and town of Pushkin. The digital chronological reference book/Monuments of history and culture

The pavilion White Tower of 38-metre-high, the highest construction in Tsarskoye Selo, was built by the architect A. Menelaws on the place of the Menagerie lusthouse in 1821-1827. The ensemble was designed as a Middle-Age knight castle-fortress. It includes some constructions: the Gate-Ruin with guardhouses, decorative Ruin Bridge, East bulwark of the Menagerie. The White Tower is placed on the bastion ground. The tower walls were plastered and painted in white color so it got the name white tower. The tower-castle is placed inside of spacious bastion ground, earlier it was surrounded with flowerbeds. The five-storeyed building of square section was divided in three tiers run up with ledges decorated with forged grilles. Sculpture lions are placed in the corners of the terrace which is the foot of the tower. Eight statues of Middle-Aged and Old-Russian knights, made of cast iron, were placed in niches in tower walls. An interior winding stairs led to the roof of the upper tier surrounded with the parapet. Here there was an inspection ground from which could be admired with views of parks, Tsarskoye Selo and its environs, even Saint Petersburg was seen. Photographs of Tsarskoye Selo for postcards, which were widely distributed in the early 20th century, were shot from this ground. The White Tower was almost completely destroyed during the war and restored according to the design of the architect A.A. Kedrinsky. The restoration was doing during almost twenty years and has not been finished yet.
The Ruin-Gate with guardhouses built in the Gothic style forms the entrance into the White Tower. The Ruin-Gate looks like ruins of fortress constructions, it is monumental and imitates castle entrance with the falling herse. A moulding with the heraldic coat of arms was placed over the arch. An earth bank was located in front of the gate in side as if it protects the entrance to the White Tower from the Farm road. According to the star-form of the layout the bank looks like a kronverk, an auxiliary defence construction in front of a fortress. A ditch joined with a small pond surrounded the bank. Sons of Emperor Nicholas Pavlovich were visual taught fortification on building the earth fortification. Later a high mast with rope-ladders was set inside of the “star”; a trampoline was spread around the mast. In summer when the park was opened for public, many children gathered here.

Semenova Galina Victorovna

Kedrinsky Alexander Alexandrovich
Menelas Adam Adamovich
Nicholas I, Emperor

Dvortsovaya Street/Pushkin, town Александровский парк


The White Tower was constructed in the park ( architect A.
Source: Tsarskoe Selo


District of the former Sophia town became so-called "third part" of Tsarskoye Selo and the main place for the billeting of the Tsarskoye Selo garrison. The semaphore optical telegraph was organized in the White Tower for the communications
Source: Tsarskoe Selo

Menagerie (an ensemble of the Alexander Park)

The oldest part of the park, founded as the Menagerie, occupied more than a half of the Alexander Park territory. The area for the Menagerie has been chosen as early as 1710
Source: Tsarskoe Selo

The Military Chamber (an ensemble of the Alexander Park)

The Military Chamber, located in the Alexander Park near the White Tower, was built on the initiative of Nicholas II in 1913-1917 according to the design of the civil engineer S.Yu. Sidorchuk like an Old Russian fortress
Source: Tsarskoe Selo