Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу
The subject index / Panteleymonovsky Bridge

Panteleymonovsky Bridge

Categories / Architecture/Bridges

PANTELEYMONOVSKY BRIDGE (in 1824-1827 known as Tsepnoy Bridge (Chain Bridge), in 1828-91 it was renamed into Panteleymonovsky Tsepnoy Bridge, in 1915-1923 called Gangutsky, in the 1920s Dekabrista Pestelya Bridge, finally from the late 1920s to 1991 it was known as Pestelya Bridge), over the Fontanka River, in the alignment of Pestelya Street (former Panteleymonovskaya Street, named after St. Panteleimon's Church, hence the name of the bridge). In 1725-1726, a wooden viaduct bridge was built here (craftsman H. van Boles) to provide water to the fountains of the Summer Garden. In 1748-1749, the bridge was replaced with one in the Baroque style (architect F.B. Rastrelli), dismantled after the flood of 1777. In 1823-24, a chain bridge was constructed on this site (engineers V.K. Traitteur, V.A. Khristianovich). In 1906, it was dismantled after the wreckage of Egipetsky Bridge (Egyptian Bridge) and replaced with a single-span arched metal bridge in 1907-14 (engineer A.P. Pshenitsky, architect L.A. Ilyin). The arches of the bridge contain two hinges each; the heavy abutments of the bridge are faced with granite. The fronts are finely embellished, with the details gilded. The railing of the bridge is made of cast iron, and the lamps are shaped as bunches of lances. In 1953, the torches were reconstructed (architect A.L. Rotach). In 1957, 1970-73 and 1982 the architectural decor together with the lamps were restored, and in 2001-2002 the framework was overhauled followed by restoration. The bridge is 43 metres long and 23.7 metres wide.

S. Z. Suponitsky, N.M. Kozlovskaya, D.Y. Guzevich.

Boles Harmann van
Ilyin Lev Alexandrovich
Khristianovich Vasily Alexandrovich
Pshenitsky Andrey (Andrzej) Petrovich
Rastrelli Francesco de
Rotach Alexander Lukich
Traitteur Vasily Karlovich (Wilhelm, Guillaume)

Pestelya St./Saint Petersburg, city

The subject Index
St. Panteleimon Church
Egyptian Bridge


Bridges (entry)

BRIDGES, an integral part of the urban planning structure and architectural appearance of St. Petersburg. In 2002, the city numbered 342 bridges of various kinds and types; in Kronstadt: 5 bridges, Pushkin: 54 bridges, Petrodvorets: 51 bridges

Ilyin L.A. (1880-1942), architect.

ILYIN Lev Alexandrovich (1880-1942), architect, Fellow of the Academy of architecture of the USSR (as of 1941). He studied at the College of Civil Engineers (1897-1909) and at the Academy of Fine Arts (1903-04). He was a member of the Old St

Ligovsky Canal

LIGOVSKY CANAL was constructed to supply drinking water to St. Petersburg under the project of Grigory Skornyakov-Pisarev in 1718-21. Originally, it was 23 km long, 2-4 meters bottom-wide and 1-2 meters deep

St. Panteleimon Church

ST. PANTELEIMON CHURCH, the Church of St. Panteleimon the Great Martyr and Healer located at 2a Pestelya Street/ 17 Solyanoy Lane. An architectural monument, consecrated in the name of St

Traitteur Vasily Karlovich (Wilhelm, Guillaume; 1788-1859), engineer, bridge builder

TRAITTEUR VASILY KARLOVICH (WILHELM, GUILLAUME) (1788-1859), engineer, lithographer, Major General (1830). Immigrant from Germany. In 1814-1831, he was in the Russian service. In 1816, he created the first lithograph in Russia