Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу
Entries / Badaev Storage

Badaev Storage

Categories / Army. Navy/Blokade

BADAEV STORAGE, supply stores named after A.E. Badaev (5 Kievskaya Street), a number of wooden storage houses built in 1914 by the first-guild merchant Rasteryaev on an area of 27 hectares. After October 1917, they were used as storage for food reserves. About 40 separate Badaev storages were burnt down by German air raids on 8 and 10 September 1941. As a result, 3,000 tons of flour and 2,500 tons of sugar was lost (at that time, reserves for 1-3 days). Up to 1,000 tons of the burnt flour and up to 900 tons of the burnt sugar was processed by food plants. For Leningrad inhabitants, the Badaev storage fire marked the beginning of the Famine of 1941-42. It is not true, however, that this fire was the main cause of the miseries of the autumn and winter of 1941-42. In 1945-70, the Badaev storage was re-built (today Optovaya Baza Ltd.).

A. Y. Chistyakov.

Badaev Alexey Egorovich
Rasteryaev Sergey Ivanovich

Kievskaya St./Saint Petersburg, city, house 5

Communication Museum

COMMUNICATION MUSEUM, A. S. Popov Central (7 Pochtamtskaya Street) is the first such museum in Russia. It ranks among the biggest museums of its kind in the world

Famine of 1941-42

FAMINE of 1941-42, one of the most tragic events in the history of St. Petersburg. The famine occurred during the Siege of 1941-44. Leningrad did not have enough food reserves before the war, and had for some time been supplied from outside the city