Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу
Entries / Artillery and Engineer Schools of the 18th Century (entry)

Artillery and Engineer Schools of the 18th Century (entry)


Categories / Army. Navy/Military Academies
Categories / Science. Education/Educational Institutions

ARTILLERY AND ENGINEERING SCHOOLS OF THE 18TH CENTURY were the military educational institutions for artillery and engineer officers. The Engineering School was founded in 1719, which prepared non-commissioned officers for the engineer troops (from 1733 it had been located at the Engineer Court near present-day Krasnogo Kursanta Street). The Soldier's Engineer School (in St. Peter and Paul Fortress), which prepared craftsmen for the engineer troops, was founded in 1730. In 1721, the Artillery School was opened for training non-commissioned officers in artillery at the Laboratory House. In 1730, the Artillery Arithmetical School was opened for preparation of specialists from soldiers' children at Foundry Yard. In 1735, the Artillery Drawing School was opened for preparation of non-commissioned officers for artillery and engineer troops for children from the nobility. The Artillery School, the Artillery Arithmetical School and Artillery Drawing School merged into the Combined Artillery, Artillery Arithmetical and Artillery Drawing School at Laboratory House, in 1758. It had two sections: one for nobles (which prepared non-commissioned officers) and the other for soldiers' children (preparation of clerks and artisans). These school merged in 1758 with the Engineer School into the United Artillery and Engineer School (which was situated at the Engineer Court, its training base was located at the Vyborgskaya Side), which prepared officers and non-commissioned officers for artillery and engineer troops (from nobles' children), clerks, artists and handymen (from soldiers' children). In 1762, this school was transformed into the Artillery and Engineer Cadet Corps. In 1759, a special department was detached from the school - the United Soldier School, which combined soldier classes of the former United Artillery School and the Soldier Engineer School. In 1762, this school was transformed into the Art School of the Cadet Corps (it prepared non-commissioned officers, clerks, drawers, designers and artisans for engineer and artillery troops and for the mints from the children of both noblemen and soldiers), and in 1790 - into the Soldier of the Cadet Corps.

G. V. Kalashnikov.

Addresses
Krasnogo Kursanta St./Saint Petersburg, city

The subject Index
St. Peter and Paul fortress
Foundry Yard

Chronograph
1730
1762


Kutuzov M.I. (1745-1813), military commander, Field Marshal-General

KUTUZOV (Golenishchev-Kutuzov) Mikhail Illarionovich (1745-1813), Gracious Prince Smolensky (1812), commander, Field-Marshal General (1812). He graduated from Artillery school and Engineering school in St. Petersburg (1759)

Military Academies (entry)

MILITARY ACADEMIES, educational institutions of the Military Department, the graduates of which are directed to military service according to the qualification they receive