Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу
Entries / St. Catherine’s Lutheran Church

St. Catherine’s Lutheran Church

Categories / Architecture/Architectural Monuments/Religious Architecture (see also Religion.Church)
Categories / Religion. Church/Places of Worship (see also Architecture and Urban Planning)

ST. CATHERINE’S LUTHERAN CHURCH, located at 1 Bolshoy Avenue of Vasilievsky Island. An architectural monument of early Classicism. Designed for the Lutheran Community of Vasilievsky Island (established in 1728) by architect Y. M. Felten, the church was constructed in 1768-71 under the patronage of Empress Catherine II. The church facade is decorated with a Dorian portico and a light cupola; the interiors, divided by Corinthian columns into three naves, boast gilding and statues by sculptor A. R. Bock, in addition to religious paintings by G. Pfanzelt, G. I. Kozlov and E. Grimmel. In 1852, the Mezel organ was installed in the church. Pastors J. C. Grot (the author of the books on the history of Protestantism in Russia) and K. L. Beckman became very famous. In 1909, the congregation numbered about 8,000 people, mainly Germans. In the early 1920s the church was given over to the community of Evangelic Christian Baptists. In 1930, the church was closed and the building was turned into a miners' club, then it was used by a sound recording company. In 1990, services resumed. In 1997, the church was returned to the Lutheran community; in 1999 a Sauer organ, the largest in St. Petersburg, was installed in the church.

References: Антонов В. В., Кобак А. В. Святыни Санкт-Петербурга: Ист.-церков. энцикл. СПб., 1996. Т. 3. С. 243-246.

S. V. Boglachev.

Beckman K.L.
Bock Alexander Romanovich
Catherine II, Empress
Felten Yury (Georg Friedrich) Matveevich
Grimmel Elias
Grot J.Ch.
Kozlov Grigory Mikhailovich
Metzel T.
Pfanzelt Georgy Leopoldovich

Bolshoy Ave of Vasilievsky Island/Saint Petersburg, city, house 1

Антонов В. В., Кобак А. В. Святыни Санкт-Петербурга: Ист.-церков. энцикл.: В 3 т. СПб., 1994-1996

The subject Index


Bolshoy Avenue of Vasilievsky Island

BOLSHOY AVENUE OF VASILIEVSKY ISLAND, in 1720s-1780s - Bolshaya Prospektivaya or Bolshaya Pershpektivaya Street, in 1918-22 - F. Adlera Avenue, in 1922-44 - Proletarskoy Pobedy Avenue

Felten Y. M. (1730-1801), architect

FELTEN Yury Matveevich (Georg Friedrich) (1730 -1801, St. Petersburg), architect, professor of the Academy of Fine Arts (from 1775; from 1785 a Council member, in 1789-94 director), State Counsellor (1784)