Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу
Entries / Obukhovsky Bridge

Obukhovsky Bridge

Categories / Architecture/Bridges

OBUKHOVSKY BRIDGE (in 1738 known as Saarsky, after Saarskaya farmstead - Tsarskoe Selo), over the Fontanka River at Moskovsky Avenue. The bridge was built around 1785-86 on the site of a wooden bridge that had existed here since 1717. It was named after the last name of the contractor, Obukhov. The bridge is one of seven standard stone bridges built over the Fontanka River (see Belinskogo Bridge). In 1865, the swinging span was replaced by a brick vaults, faced with granite, while the towers were dismantled (engineer Mikhaylov). In 1938-40, the spans were bridged over with reinforced-concrete double-hinged elliptical vaults with outriggers; the fronts were faced with granite (engineer V.V. Demchenko, architect L.A. Noskov). Granite parapets serve as railings. In addition, granite obelisks with lanterns were put on the abutments. The bridge is 68.7 metres long and 30 metres wide.

D. Y. Guzevich.

Demchenko V.V.
Noskov Lev Alexandrovich

Moskovsky Ave/Saint Petersburg, city

The subject Index
Belinskogo Bridge

Bridges (entry)

BRIDGES, an integral part of the urban planning structure and architectural appearance of St. Petersburg. In 2002, the city numbered 342 bridges of various kinds and types; in Kronstadt: 5 bridges, Pushkin: 54 bridges, Petrodvorets: 51 bridges

Vvedensky Canal

VVEDENSKY CANAL was dug between the Obvodny Canal and the Fontanka River in 1807-10. It received its name from Vvedensky Cathedral (Presentation of the Holy Virgin Cathedral) (at different times it was named Soyedinitelny (Connecting), Novy (New)