Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу
Entries / Deviatogo Yanvarya Children Park

Deviatogo Yanvarya Children Park

Categories / City Topography/Green Areas/Parks

DEVIATOGO YANVARYA CHILDREN PARK (20 Stachek Avenue) is located between Shvetsov Street, Marshal Govorov Street, Tikhomirskaya Street and Stachek Avenue. It consists of 10.5 hectares and was founded on 1 May 1920 to the designs of landscape designer R.F. Katzer. It was from this location that workers of the Narva Border Post started in their march towards the Winter Palace on 9 January 1905. Military forces fired at the demonstrants near the Narvskaya Zastava Square (hence the original name Garden in Memory of Sacrifices of 9 January, 1905). A wrought-iron fence, transported from the Winter Palace was installed from the side of Stachek Avenue by project of architect L.A. Ilyin in 1924 (1899-1901, architect R.F. Meltzer). The park was reconstructed in 1945-46 (architect V.A. Kamensky and A.V. Modzalevsky), and was given to children in 1954. It has regular landscape design, and there is a pond in its southern part. A monument to V.P. Alexeev, one of the Komsomol founders was installed in the territory of the park in 1936 (1928, sculptor M.Y. Kharlamov).

Reference: Поленов И. Ю. Детский парк имени 9 января // Сады и парки Ленинграда. Л., 1981. С. 112-120.

Y. P. Seliverstov.

Alexeev Vasily Petrovich
Ilyin Lev Alexandrovich
Kamensky Valentin Alexandrovich
Katzer Rudolf Frantsevich
Kharlamov Matvey Yakovlevich
Meltzer Roman (Robert-Friedrich) Fedorovich
Modzalevsky Andrey Vsevolodovich

Stachek Ave/Saint Petersburg, city, house 20

The subject Index
Winter Palace