Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу
The subject index / Hussar Life Guards Regiment

Hussar Life Guards Regiment

Categories / Army. Navy/Garrison

HUSSAR LIFE GUARDS REGIMENT (from 1855 His Majesty’s Regiment), its history dates back to the Life Hussar Squadron, formed in 1775, which in 1796 was incorporated into the Cossack Life Hussar Regiment, in 1798 was formed into its own regiment; enjoyed privileges of the Old Guards, consisted of 2 to 5 squadron battalions, in 1802 was re-formed into a 5-squadron unit. Participated in the wars with France of 1799, 1805, 1806-07, 1812-14, in the Russo-Turkish Wars of 1828-29 and 1877-78, in suppressing of the Polish Uprising of 1830-31. From 1802 the regiment was stationed in Pavlovsk and Krasnoe Selo, from 1814 – in Tsarskoe Selo, (hence the informal name “hussars of Tsarskoe Selo – tsarskoselsky hussars”). The barracks were situated in the neighbourhood bordered by Volkonskaya (now Parkovaya), Sofiyskaya, Furazhnaya, Gussarskaya, Stesselevskaya (now Krasnoy Zvezdy Street) and Gospitalnaya Streets. From 1817 the regiment church was the Holy Wisdom Cathedral. From 1855 reigning emperors were the regiment’s patrons, future Emperors Alexander II and Nicholas II commenced their service in its ranks. During WW I 1914-18 the regiment within the 2d Guards Cavalry Division was dispatched to the North-Western front. It was disbanded in early 1918.

References: Манзей К. Н. История Лейб-гвардии Гусарского полка, 1775-1857: В 4 ч. СПб., 1859; Столетняя служба Л.-гв. гусарского его величества полка: Ист. очерк. СПб., 1875; Лейб-гусары: История. Биографии. Мемуары. М., 2003.

A. N. Lukirsky.

Alexander II, Emperor
Nicholas II, Emperor

Манзей К. Н. История Лейб-гвардии Гусарского полка, 1775-1857: В 4 ч. СПб., 1859
Столетняя служба Л.-гв. гусарского его величества полка: Ист. очерк. СПб., 1875

The subject Index
St. Sofia Cathedral at Tsarskoe Selo



27 January. The Lyceum Noble Boarding School, the preparatory educational establishment for the Lyceum, was opened in Sophia Town and it worked until 23 February 1829
Source: Tsarskoe Selo


April. One of the "Cavaliere Houses", at the corner of Sadovaya Street and Leontyevskaya Street, was given to N.M. Karamzin, the writer, poet, literary critic, he was honoured with the title Historiographer
Source: Tsarskoe Selo


Mikhail Yuryevich Lermontov had arrived in Tsarskoye Selo for the service in the Life-Guard His Emperor Majesty Hussar Regiment. The Emperor Convoy moved in Tsarskoye Selo for the permanent service according to the order of Emperor
Source: Tsarskoe Selo


14 May. M.Y. Lermontov arrived for service in the Life-Guard Hussar Regiment, he returned in Tsarskoye Selo thanks to efforts of his grandmother E.A. Arsenyeva. In summer of 1838 M.Y
Source: Tsarskoe Selo


GUARDS, life guards, elite, privileged military unit. The Russian Guards were established by Peter I in 1700, when the Preobrazhensky and Semenovsky regiments gained the title of life guards

His Majesty's Life-Guards Cuirassier Regiment

One of the oldest regiments of the Russian Army – His Majesty's Life-Guards Cuirassier Regiment – arrived to Tsarskoye Selo for permanent disposition on February 27, 1832. The regiment was established in 1702

Nikolay Nikolaevich the Younger (1856-1929), Grand Prince

NIKOLAY NIKOLAEVICH the Younger (1856, St. Petersburg 1929), Grand Prince, General of Cavalry (1900), Adjutant General (1894). Son of Grand Prince Nikolay Nikolaevich the Elder

Sophia – the Town of Military Men

On January 01, 1780, Catherine II issued an Order to establish St. Petersburg Governorate composed of seven uyezds. Sophia Uyezd was one of the seven uyezds of St. Petersburg Governorate. The plan and the emblem of Sophia were approved in 1780

St. Sofia Cathedral at Tsarskoe Selo

ST. SOFIA CATHEDRAL AT TSARSKOE SELO, located at 1 Sofyskaya Square, Pushkin. The traditional name of the Holy Ascension Cathedral, built in 1782-88 in the Classicist style (architect C

The Memorial Plate of M.Y. Lermontov

“Great Russian poet Mikhail Yuryevich Lermontov served here in the Life Guard Hussar Regiment in 1834-1837 and 1838-1840.” Almost all men of the ancient house of the Lermontovs were military men. Following the tradition M

The Saint Sophia Cathedral

The cathedral was built in commemoration of our victories in the Russo-Turkish wars. The foundation stone of the cathedral was laid in the presence of Catherine II on July 30, 1782. The consecration took place on May 20, 1788

To the Life Guard His Emperor Majesty Hussar Regiment , the commemorative sign.

Commemorative sign was unveiled in June of 2003г. It was constructed according to the program of the Ministry of Defence of the Russian Federation "Saint-Petersburg is the military-science and military- industrial centre of the country" with