Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу
The subject index / Kirov Stadium

Kirov Stadium

Categories / Sports/Sports and Recreation Facilities

KIROV STADIUM (25 Yuzhnaya Road), the largest sports facility of St. Petersburg. The construction began in 1933 (the project was approved in 1937) by the summer of 1941 most early works were finished. After the end of the Great Patriotic War, the construction was resumed (it was conducted simultaneously with the creation of Primorsky Victory Park). The stadium opened in 1950 (architect A.S. Nikolsky, K.I. Kashin-Linde, N.N. Stepanov), undergone reconstructions in 1980 and 1993 (architect S.P. Odnovalov, A.I. Pribulsky, M.V. Tsimbal, engineer V.E. Arsenov, A.S. Chugunov). The stadium is situated on the spit of Krestovsky Island, its east side adjoining the Primorsky Victory Park. The stadium base is a loop-shaped earth-filled oval hill, created by alleviation of the ground from the Neva's delta. The stands are located on the inner side of the hill; stairs and ramps lead up the hill's landscaped outer slopes; the double front staircase decorated by cascades and sculptures is situated on the east side. The sports arena includes a soccer field and a 400-meter track around it. In front of the entrance there is a bronze monument to S.M. Kirov (sculptor V.B. Pinchuk, architect L.M. Khidekel). The seating capacity of the stadium is 62,000. During the 1980 Olympics, the Olympic flame was lit there, and the group stage football matches took place at this stadium. The 1994 Goodwill Games' opening and closing ceremonies were held there as well. The stadium holds a variety of events (concerts, discos); there are gyms, pool tables, and bowling alleys available.

Reference: Оль Г. А. Александр Никольский. Л., 1980. С. 90-98.

И. А. Богданов.

Arsenov V.E.
Chugunov A.S.
Kashin-Linde Konstantin Ivanovich
Khidekel Lazar Markovich
Kirov (real name Kostrikov) Sergey Mironovich
Nikolsky Alexander Sergeevich
Odnovalov Stanislav Pavlovich
Pinchuk Veniamin Borisovich
Pribulsky Anatoly Isaakovich
Stepanov Nikolay Nikolaevich
Tsimbal Maya Vladimirovna

Yuzhnaya Road/Saint Petersburg, city, house 25

Оль Г. А. Александр Никольский. Л., 1980


Anniversaries of Petersburg (centenary, bicentenary, two hundred fiftieth anniversary, tercentenary)

ANNIVERSARIES OF ST. PETERSBURG. St. Petersburg's first anniversary celebration (the city's centenary) took place in 1803. Celebrations started on the morning of 16 May 1803

Earthern Dams

EARTHERN DAMS, zones within the territory of St. Petersburg with an artificially raised level. From the very first days of the city development bedding was used for the low spots to protect it from water, especially floods

Grebnoy Canal

GREBNOY CANAL (Rowing Canal) is located in the northern part of Krestovsky Island in Primorsky Victory Park at the place of the former Vinnovka River. In 1938, the Grebnoy Canal was projected to be 2 km in length and run from the head of the

Krestovsky Island

KRESTOVSKY ISLAND (Cross Island), situated between the Srednaya Nevka River separating it from Elagin Island, the Malaya Nevka River separating it from Petrovsky Island, Petrogradsky Island, Aptekarsky Island

Malaya Neva

MALAYA NEVA, the second largest (after Bolshaya Neva) branch of the Neva river delta. The Malaya Neva separates from the Neva near the Spit of Vasilievsky Island and flows into the Neva Bay between Dekabristov Island and Petrovsky Island

Nikolsky A. S. (1884-1953), architect

NIKOLSKY Alexander Sergeevich (1884-1953, Leningrad), architect, doctor of architecture, full member of the Academy of Architecture of the USSR (1939). Since 1902, resided in St. Petersburg. Graduated from the Civil Engineering Institute (1912)

Petrogradsky District

PETROGRADSKY DISTRICT, an administrative and territorial unit of St. Petersburg, with its administration located at 19 Bolshaya Monetnaya Street. The district was formed in 1917, and in 1936 the Primorsky District was separated from its territory

Physical Education and Sports (entry)

PHYSICAL EDUCATION AND SPORTS. Russian amateur athletic activities date back to the first yacht club in Russia Nevsky Fleet, founded in 1718 by the order of tsar Peter the Great (see Yacht Clubs). In 1827 a swimming school was opened on the Neva

Primorsky Park of Victory

PRIMORSKY PARK OF VICTORY is located on Krestovsky Island. The total area of the park is 168 hectares. Primorsky Park was laid out according to the designs of architect A. S

Stadiums (entry)

STADIUMS. By the beginning of the 20th century, there were several sport-grounds and football fields in St Petersburg. The Lenin Stadium (1925; now Petrovsky) was Leningrad's first. In 1950, the Kirov Stadium was opened