Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу
The subject index / Inzhenerny Bridges

Inzhenerny Bridges

Categories / Architecture/Bridges

INZHENERNY BRIDGES (Engineer’s, two bridges in the district of Engineers' (see Mikhailovsky) Castle (hence the name). The first Engineers' Bridge (formerly Letny Bridge) spans the Moika River, along the Fontanka River, between the castle and the Summer Garden (hence the original name). Here in the 1720s-50s, the wooden bridge-aqueduct and foot-bridge existed, and in the 1760s a new wooden bridge was erected. In 1824-25, a cast iron bridge was built in its place on lightly built tubbings with oval holes in bottoms and walls (engineers P.P. Bazen, B. Clapeyron). Piers are made of rough stone and faced with granite. The fence of the bridge (1826) was repeated by the architect L. I. Charlemagne for the southern fence of the Summer Garden. In 1952-54, the vault of the bridge was replaced with steel stressed chassis with curved drawn girthing rail and iron-concrete supports (engineer B. B. Levin), the outer appearance of the bridge was distorted, the tubbings were removed. By 1955, the architectural decoration of the facades were restored, the railings and six-facetted lanterns on standing lamps were made of latticed copies. By 1999, the original appearance of the bridge and bridge railing was restored, and in 2002, the standard lamps were reconstructed. The length is 27.8 metres, width 9.5 metres. The Second Engineers' Bridge (formerly Engineers') across Voskresensky Canal (had been filled in, opened for 300 anniversary of St. Petersburg) is on the right bank of the Fontanka River. It was erected in 1824-26 (engineers Bazen, Clapeyron). The span is covered with slanting flat brick-slate vault with granite arches on the facades, on the axis of the bridge and by granite block rows in the crown; cast iron fences are of original designs, lanterns on standing lamps are made of latticed pikes. In 1952-55, banisters, granite parapets, standing lamps with lanterns were reconstructed (architect A.L. Rotach). In 1983 decor and lanterns were restored. In 1995, vaults, flashing, granite slabs of pavements were repaired. In 1999, standing lamps were sent to be restored. The length is about 25 metres, width is 10 metres.

D. Y. Guzevich, S.Z. Suponitsky, N. M. Kozlovskaya.

Bazen Peter Petrovich
Charlemagne Ludwig Iosifovich
Clapeyron Benoit Paul Emile
Levin B.B.
Rotach Alexander Lukich

Fontanka River Embankment/Saint Petersburg, city

The subject Index
Mikhailovsky Castle