Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу
The subject index / Ermitazhny (Hermitage) Bridge

Ermitazhny (Hermitage) Bridge

Categories / Architecture/Bridges

ERMITAZHNY (HERMITAGE) BRIDGE (in 1738 Naberezhny, in the middle of the 18th century known as Verkhnenaberezhny, or Zimnedvortsovy; was also called Dvortsovy (Palace) until 1828), across Zimnyaya Kanavka along Dvortsovaya Embankment, near the Hermitage (hence the name). The bridge was built at the same time as the Bolshaya Neva River granite embankments in 1763-66, on the site of a wooden draw bridge which had existed here since 1718-20. The bridge is the oldest stone bridge in St. Petersburg. The opening was covered with brick and limestone vaults with granite courses and decorative arches. The rubble abutments are faced with granite. In 1934, the bridge was replaced with a reinforced concrete bridge with a monolithic arch containing projecting abutments and inner elliptic contour (engineer A.D. Saperstein, architect K.M. Dmitriev, consultant professor G.P. Peredery); the exterior of the bridge was kept intact. Around 1950, the decor of the ramps was restored. The bridge is 22.1 metres long and 15.2 metres wide.

D. Y. Guzevich, S.Z. Suponitsky, N.M. Kozlovskaya.

Dmitriev Konstantin Mikhailovich
Peredery Grigory Petrovich
Saperstein A.D.

Dvortsovaya Embankment/Saint Petersburg, city

The subject Index