Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу
The subject index / Post Office, Central

Post Office, Central

Categories / City Services/Communication
Categories / Architecture/Architectural Monuments/Public Buildings and Edifices

Post Office, CENTRAL (Postamt, from the German meaning Post Office) (9 Pochtamtskaya Street). Founded in St. Petersburg in 1714, located at the Troitskaya Landing (present-day Troitsky Bridge). In 1715-16, a two-story wooden building on Nemetskaya Street (present Millionnaya Street), which also housed a hotel, was built to accommodate the Post Office. In 1735, a stone building was constructed for the Post Office on the same street, near Dvoryanskaya Square. In 1782-89, architect N.A. Lvov constructed a new stone Post Office building in the style of High Classicism on Novo-Isaakievskaya Street (present Pochtamtskaya Street); its facades were decorated with three Tuscan porticos. In the centre was a coach-yard, surrounded with postal service buildings, and staff apartments on the upper floor. Reconstruction of the lower floor was carried out in 1801-03 (architect E.T. Sokolov); an arch (suspended gallery) spanning the width of street was constructed in 1859-61 (architect A.K. Cavos). In 1903-04, the inner yard was covered with a glass roof and turned into a processing room (civil engineer L.I. Novikov). Restoration of the interiors was undertaken in 1999-2002. The Postamt is currently the Central St. Petersburg Post Office. Today it occupies several adjacent buildings (also see the article "Post"). The word Postamt was given to Pochtamtskaya Street, the Pochtamtsky Lane and the Pochtamtsky Bridge. Earlier, distances in St. Petersburg were measured in kilometres from the Postamt.

References: Кутьин В. А., Соловьева Т. А., Сориц А. Н. Санкт-Петербургский почтамт. СПб., 1997.

V. V. Antonov.

Cavos Albert Katarinovich
Lvov Nikolay Alexandrovich
Novikov Leonid Ivanovich
Sokolov Egor Timofeevich

Millionnaya St./Saint Petersburg, city
Pochtamtskaya St./Saint Petersburg, city
Pochtamtskaya St./Saint Petersburg, city, house 9
Pochtamtsky Lane/Saint Petersburg, city

Кутьин В. А., Соловьева Т. А., Сориц А. Н. Санкт-Петербургский почтамт. СПб., 1997

The subject Index
Troitsky Bridge
Postal Service


Archives, St. Petersburg

ARCHIVES, SAINT PETERSBURG, the Central State Archives of St. Petersburg situated at 15 Varfolomeevskaya Street. They were founded as the Leningrad Regional Archives of the October Revolution in 1936 and renamed as the State Archives of the October

City Clock

CITY CLOCK. The very first mechanical clock in the city was installed in 1704 in the tower of wooden St. Peter and Paul Cathedral. In 1710, the first striker clock (with chimes) was set up on the belfry of the Church of St

Communication Museum

COMMUNICATION MUSEUM, A. S. Popov Central (7 Pochtamtskaya Street) is the first such museum in Russia. It ranks among the biggest museums of its kind in the world

February Revolution of 1917

FEBRUARY REVOLUTION OF 1917 is the Second Russian Revolution, which dethroned the Monarchy. Decisive events developed in Petrograd. On 23 February (8 March) 1917

Lvov N.A. (1751-1803), architect

LVOV Nikolay Alexandrovich (1751-1803), architect, poet, engraver, scientist, engineer, privy counsellor, member of the Russian Academy (1783), honorary member of the Academy of Arts (1786). Received a home education

October Revolution (October Armed Revolt) of 1917

OCTOBER REVOLUTION (OCTOBER ARMED REVOLT) of 1917, the name accepted in Soviet historical literature of the events in Petrograd of 24 -26 October (6 -8 November) 1917

Pochtamtskaya Street

POCHTAMTSKAYA STREET, between St. Isaac's Square and Konnogvardeisky Lane. The road was built in the first quarter of the 18th century, in the 1730s it was known as Pushkarskaya Street (after Pushkarskaya, meaning Artillerymen, settlement)

Pochtamtsky Bridge

POCHTAMTSKY BRIDGE (Post Office Bridge), over the Moika River, beside Prachechny Lane. The bridge was built in 1823-24 (engineers V.K. Traitteur, V.A. Khristianovich) as a chain pedestrian bridge to replace a four-span wooden beam bridge that had

Public Lavatory

PUBLIC LAVATORY. Since the early 18th century, primitive latrines were arranged on the territory of gostiny dvors, markets, ports, and along river and canal banks

Sokolov E.T. (1750-1824), architect.

SOKOLOV Egor Timofeevich (1750, Peterhof 1824, St. Petersburg), architect, constructor, representative of Neoclassicism. Took courses taught by the Chancellery for Urban Planning, worked on the construction site of the palace in Peterhof

Yakubovicha Street

YAKUBOVICHA STREET, called Novo-Isaakievskaya Street until 1923, after St. Isaac's Cathedral, running between Isaakievskaya Square and Truda Square. The street was named after Decembrist A.I. Yakubovich (1792-1845)