Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу
The subject index / Matveevsky Bridge

Matveevsky Bridge

Categories / Architecture/Bridges

MATVEEVSKY BRIDGE (until 1919 Tyuremny (Prison) Bridge, deriving its name from the neighbouring gaol Lithuanian Castle), over Krykov Canal, along the Moika River Embankment. It was renamed in memory of a revolutionary hero S.M. Matveev (1888-1918). The bridge was built at the same time as the granite canal embankments, around 1784-86; it is a three-span bridge with timber decks (the central span opens; replaced in the second half of the 19th century), and rough-hewn stone piers are faced with granite. In 1905, metal decks were laid, which in 1950-51 were replaced with three-span reinforced concrete decks. In 1954, the original metal poles with brackets on granite bases (engineers P.V. Andreevsky, А.D. Gutzeit and architect Т.V. Berseneva). Length 27.1 metres, width 9.8 metres.

D. Y. Guzevich.

Andreevsky P.V.
Berseneva Tatyana Vladimirovna
Gutzeit A.D.
Matveev Sergey Matveevich

Moika River Embankment/Saint Petersburg, city

The subject Index
Lithuanian Castle.

Kryukov Canal

KRYUKOV CANAL runs from the Admiralty Canal by Truda Square to the Fontanka River. 1015 meters long, it was dug from the Neva River to the Moika River in 1719-20 and was named after the contractor Semen Kyukov in 1738 (the section from the Neva to