Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу
The subject index / St. Catherine’s Cathedral in Tsarskoe Selo

St. Catherine’s Cathedral in Tsarskoe Selo

Categories / Architecture/Architectural Monuments/Religious Architecture (see also Religion.Church)
Categories / Religion. Church/Places of Worship (see also Architecture and Urban Planning)
Categories / Tsarskoe Selo and town of Pushkin. The digital chronological reference book/Monuments of history and culture

ST. CATHERINE’S CATHEDRAL IN TSARSKOE SELO designed in Russian-Byzantine style by architect K. A. Ton, constructed on Sobornaya Square in 1835-40. In 1851-52, the side-altars were consecrated. The cathedral could hold 2,000 people. Facades of the five-dome building were finished with zakomaras (semicircular gables) with small semicircular windows; the entrance was constructed with an isometric tunnel entrance. The icons of the main iconostasis were painted by F. A. Bruni, A. E. Egorov, F. P. Brullo and others. The altar was adorned with religious paintings: Crucifixion by A. Van Dyck and Madonna in Glory by P. Veronese. Major-General Y. V. Zakharov, who took part in the Patriotic War of 1812, was interred in the crypt of the St. Catherine’s Cathedral; Protopresbyter Ioann Kochurov was also buried there in 1917, having been killed by Bolsheviks. He was later canonised, a wooden cross was mounted on his grave in 1995. In 1939, the Catherine Cathedral was destroyed, a park was laid out on its territory.

References: Царскосельский Екатерининский собор, 1840-1890 гг. СПб., 1890; Мещанинов М. Ю. Храмы Царского Села, Павловска и их ближайших окрестностей. СПб., 2000. С. 23-31.

V. V. Antonov.

Brullo Fedor Pavlovich
Bruni Fedor (Fidelis) Antonovich
Egorov Alexey Egorovich
Ioann Kochurov, Archpriest
Ton Konstantin Andreevich
Van Dyck Anthonie
Veronese Paolo
Zakharov Ya.V.

Царскосельский Екатерининский собор, 1840-1890 гг. СПб., 1890
Мещанинов М. Ю. Храмы Царского Села, Павловска и их ближайших окрестностей. СПб., 2000


The Cathedral of St.Catherine, Great Martyr, was ercted to the design by K.A.
Source: Tsarskoe Selo


The Heir Alexander Nikolayevich married Princess Marie of Hesse-Darmstadt and then newly married couple moved to Tsarskoe Selo and settled in Zubov's Wing of the Tsarskoye Selo Palace which became their the favorite permanent residence
Source: Tsarskoe Selo


27 November. Andrei Afanasyevich Vetvenitsky was appointed the senior priest of the Cathedral of St. Catherine in Tsarskoye Selo. He was buried in the Kazansky cemetery in 1883 ( the grave is preserved)
Source: Tsarskoe Selo


1 July. New stone Gostiny Dvor, built according to N.S. Nikitin's design, was opened for the trade. A chapel, crowned with five small-sized cupolas and attached to the town Cathedral of St
Source: Tsarskoe Selo


26 May. The liturgy and pannychis in honour of the 100th anniversary of the birth of A.S. Pushkin were performed in the Cathedral of St. Catherine in Tsarskoye Selo
Source: Tsarskoe Selo


6 February. Stepan Yakovlevich Gumilyov, the father of the poet N.S. Gumilyov, a naval doctor, died in the house of Georgiyevsky in Bulvarnaya Street. He was burried in Kuzminskoye Cemetery in Tsarskoye Selo. June
Source: Tsarskoe Selo


11 January. The memorial plaque with the inscription "The Emperor Lyceum Was Placed in This Building from 1811 untill 1843" was opened on the building of the Tsarskoye Selo Lyceum by the 100th anniversary of its founding
Source: Tsarskoe Selo


30 January - 8 March. Andrei Bely, a poet and prosaist, stayed at R.V. Ivanov-Razumnik, a literary critic and publicist, in Tsarskoye Selo. 4 February. Niktopolion Svyatsky, a poet and warrior, died in Tsarskoye Selo
Source: Tsarskoe Selo


24 June. Mikhail Ivanovich Karatuev, head of the administration of the Pushkin municipal council, was conferred the title "Honorary Citizen of Pushkin Town" by deputies of the Pushkin municipal council . June
Source: Tsarskoe Selo

New Martyrs (entry)

NEW MARTYRS, representatives of the Orthodox clergy and laity, who died for their faith after the revolution. The title of the Protomartyr of St. Petersburg Eparchy was given to Archpriest Ioann Kochurov, Prior of St

Pushkin, town

PUSHKIN, a town and municipal unit situated south of Saint Petersburg. Known until 1918 as Tsarskoe Selo, and in 1918-37 as Detskoe Selo. As of 2002, population totalled approximately 95,000 inhabitants

Ton K. A., (1794-1881), architect

TON Konstantin Andreevich (1794 - 1881, St. Petersburg), architect, originator of the Russo-Byzantine style, associate academy member of the Academy of Fine Arts (1830)

Tsarskoe Selo, palace and park ensemble

TSARSKOE SELO (Pushkin town), a monument of town-planning and a palace and park ensemble dating from the 18th to the beginning of the 20th century. The core of the ensemble is the estate of Empress Catherine I Sarskaya Myza (founded in 1710)