Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу
The subject index /

Gatchina (Orlov) Gates, monument

Categories / Tsarskoe Selo and town of Pushkin. The digital chronological reference book/Monuments of history and culture

Pushkin Town, Parkovaya Street, South-West part of the Catherine Park.

By the architect Antonio Rinaldi (1709-1794)

Gatchina (Orlov) Gates were erected in 1777-1782 on the place of the temporary wooden triumphal arch.

Materials : Siberia grey marble - facing of the Gates; Tivdy pink marble – columns, panels; forging iron, bronze – doors of the Gates; gilt copper – types.

Inscription on the attic, from the side of Gatchina Road :
"Moscow has been delivered from misfortune by Orlov";
Inscription on the attic, from the side of the park:
" In 1771 the plague and disturbances were in Moscow, General Count Grigory Orlov was sent to Moscow, according his requst, and he arranged the order and obedience, he stopped the plague by his management and gave the food and healing for poor men".

The Gatchina Gates was the first sample of a triumphal arch in Russian architecture that was built using the durable materials and with using the samples of the Ancient Roman architecture. The inscription on the South attic is the quote from the poem of the poet V.I. Maikov addressed to G.G. Orlov; the inscription on the opposite side maybe was made by Catherine II. Forging doors of the Gates with the rolled bronze decorations were made at the Sestroretsk plants.

Catherine II, Empress
Maykov Vasily Ivanovich
Orlov Grigory Grigorievich, Count
Rinaldi Antonio

Parkovaya Street/Pushkin, town в юго-западной части Екатерининского парка

The subject Index
Sestroretsk Instrumentation Plant


Constructing of the Gatchina (Orlov) Gates, built in the honour of Count G. Orlov's s successful mission of the struggle with the plague epidemic in Moscow in 1771, was finished
Source: Tsarskoe Selo


25 June. A.D. Lanskoi, a favourite of Catherine II, died in Tsarskoye Selo. In 1785 the architector G. Quarenghi built the mausoleum over Lanskoy's grave. Later it was consecrated as the Church of the Kazan Icon of the Mother of God
Source: Tsarskoe Selo


The Military Hospital was placed in the reconstructed buildings of the former post office near the Orlov Gates. 20 February. In Tsarskoye Selo, in the apartment of M.Y
Source: Tsarskoe Selo


The 2nd Rifle Battalion, the future 2nd Life-Guard Rifle Regiment, was risen and its barracks began to construct at the Orlov Gates in 1887. The town had a population of 8,584 without servicemen of garrison
Source: Tsarskoe Selo


21 November. The new regiment church, devoted to St. Sergiy of Radonezh in Gatchina Road beyond the Orlov Gates, was consecrated after returning the Second Rifle Batalion from the Turkey campaign
Source: Tsarskoe Selo


March. According to the decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR for prominent work in cattle breeding Maria Yefremovna Lukasheva, a milkmaid of the Sovkhoz "Detskoselsky", Yelizaveta Yefremovna Ivanova
Source: Tsarskoe Selo

Orlov Family

ORLOV FAMILY, nobles, counts and princes, known since the 17th century. Brothers Grigory, Vladimir, Alexey and Fedor Orlov took an active part in the take-over of 28 June 1762

The Ruin Tower

The Ruin Tower is an unusual decorative structure commemorating the victory of Russia over the Ottoman Porte. The inscription on the saddle stone reads: “This stone is placed in 1768 for the memory of the was declared by the Turks on Russia”

Water supply system of Tsarskoye Selo

Water supply system of Tsarskoye Selo; the water supply system of Tsarskoye Selo Town (Detskoye Selo Town, Pushkin Town) and Pavlovsk Town . In the middle of the 18th cent. the water supply system designed by P