Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу
Entries / The Moreysky Column, a monument

The Moreysky Column, a monument

Categories / Tsarskoe Selo and town of Pushkin. The digital chronological reference book/Monuments of history and culture

The town of Pushkin, the Catherine Park, at the Chertov (Devil) bridge on the Lower Ponds.
The architect: Antonio Rinaldi (1709-1794).
It was erected in 1771.
Materials: Tivdia pink marble for the top with rostrums; Siberian cloudy grey marble for the column body and pedestal; Carrara white marble for plinth, base and capital; the plague was made of copper.

On the copper plaque on the West side of the pedestal:
On 17 February 1770 Count Fyodor Orlov with two Russian ships went to the More Peninsula in the Mediterranean Sea at the port of Vitilio where the infantry was made a landing and himself came into Modona to join to local Christians. The Captain Barkov with the Sparta East Legion seized towns of Passava, Berdony and Sparta. The Captain Prince Dolgoruky with the Sparta West Legion conquered towns of Kalamato, Leoktari and Arcadia; the fortress of Navarin was surrendered to the brigadier Hannibal. There were six hundred of Russian soldiers and they did not ask how many enemy soldiers there were, but they asked where the enemy was: six thousand Turkish soldiers were captivated.
The smooth trunk of the column was installed on the rectangular pedestal and crowned with the cone-shaped top with two rostrums (rostrum is a decorative detail looks like a bow). The column is the first example of rostrum column in the Russian architecture.
The column was named “small rostrum column” in contrast to the Chesma Column , “big rostrum one”.
The design author name is not established documentarily, but the characteristics of the construction suggest the authority of A. Rinaldi, who was working in Tsarskoye Selo and Gatchina during that time.

Rinaldi Antonio

Ekaterininsky Park/Pushkin, town у Чертова моста на Нижних прудах

Rinaldi А. (1709-1794), architect

RINALDI Antonio (around 1709-1794), architect of Italian descent. Studied in Naples under L. Vanvitelli. From 1752 served under Hetman K.G. Razumovsky in Malorussia (Little Russia, otherwise known as Ukraine). Since 1754 resided in St

Rostral Columns

ROSTRAL COLUMNS, columns with decorative rostrums (with ship bows). The first two rostrum columns, Chesmenskaya and Moreiskaya, were built in the 1770s at Tsarskoe Selo (near Pushkin) in memory of the victories of the Russian fleet (see Russian

Russo-Turkish wars, Monuments to

RUSSO-TURKISH WARS, MONUMENTS TO. Many monuments devoted to victories by the Russian Army and Fleet during the Russo-Turkish War of 1768-1774 have been erected at the Catherine Park at Tsarskoe Selo

the 1770s

The Kagul Obelisk, Morey Column, Chesme Column, Crimea Column, Tower Ruin, Turkish Cascade were built in the honour of the victories of the Russian Army in the Russo - Turkish War of 1768-1774
Source: Tsarskoe Selo