Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу
Entries / Gorokhovaya Street

Gorokhovaya Street


Categories / City Topography/Urban Network/Streets

GOROKHOVAYA STREET, runs from Admiralteysky Avenue to Zagorodny Avenue, crossing the Moika River (Krasny Bridge), Griboedova Canal (Kamenny Bridge) and the Fontanka River (Semenovsky Bridge). From the late 1730s to the mid-18th century, the street bore the name Srednaya Prospektivaya Street, then, in the second half of the 18th century, was renamed Admiralteyskaya Perspektiva or Semenovskaya Perspektiva (after the Semenovsky Life Guards Regiment). From the 1770s to 1918, it was called Gorokhovaya Street (after the name of a house-owner), then assumed the name Komissarovskaya Street, after the All-Russian Emergency Commission and Petrograd Emergency Commission, which were located in house No. 2. In 1927 the street was named Dzerzhinskogo Street in commemoration of F.E. Dzerzhinsky, bearing this name until 1991, when it resumed its present-day name. The street was laid in the 1730s as a middle road between and parallel to present-day Voznesensky Avenue and Nevsky Prospect, according to a project planned by the Commission for the Building of St. Petersburg. The street was directed at the steeple tower of the Chief Admiralty (hence the two initial names of the street). Gorokhovaya Street, being one of the major arteries of St. Petersburg, originally ran from Bolshaya Morskaya Street; the additional section starting from present-day Admiralteysky Avenue was laid in the 1760s, according to a project planned by the Commission for Stone Building in St. Petersburg and Moscow. Most of the buildings date from the late 18th century to the early 20th century, including house No. 3 (formerly the Fire Insurance Company, 1912-15, architect A.V. Kenel), house No. 4 (formerly the Salamander Insurance Company, 1908-09, architects M.M. Peretyatkovich and N.N. Verevkin), house No. 6 (1908-11, architect N.N. Verevkin), house No. 5 (formerly belonging to S.V. Orlov-Davydov, built in the 18th century and rebuilt in 1834 and 1904, architect A.A. Grube), house No. 15/75 (former Esders and Skheifals Firm, presently a Garment Factory, 1905-07, architects K.N. de Rochefort, V.A. Lipsky), house No. 18 (formerly a School for the Deaf and Dumb, the building was rebuilt in 1817-20 and in 1844-47, architect P.S. Plavov, presently part of the Herzen State Pedagogical University of Russia), house No. 19 (1834, architect A.H. Pehl), house No. 26 (mid-18th century), house No. 47 (first half of the 19th century, rebuilt in the 1870s, architect L.Y. Suzor, and in 1912), house No. 57 (a school built in 1940, architect L.M. Khidekel), house No. 66 (the former house of the Domontoviches, first quarter of the 19th century). Eminent residents of Gorokhovaya Street include ballet dancer A.Y. Vaganova (1937-51), singer I.V. Ershov (1931-41), singer S.P. Preobrazhenskaya (1937-66), all of which lived in house No. 4; architect V.P. Stasov, and art historian V.V. Stasov, his son (1836-43), in house No. 54; Latvian composer J. Vitols in house No. 56 (1895-1918); and navigator Y.F. Lisyansky in house No. 61 (1809-12). In 1916, house No. 64 was occupied by G. Rasputin. In 1905, the Woodworkers Trade Union was established in house No. 23, as was the Innkeepers" Trade Union in house No. 42.

References: Яковченко Р. Н. Улица Дзержинского. Л., 1974.

G. Y. Nikitenko.

Persons
Dzerzhinsky Ivan Ivanovich
Ershov Ivan Vasilievich
Grube Artur Alexandrovich
Herzen Alexander Ivanovich
Kenel Alexander Vasilievich
Khidekel Lazar Markovich
Lipsky Vladimir Alexandrovich
Lisyansky Yury Fedorovich
Orlov-Davydov S.V.
Pehl Alexander Hristoforovich
Peretyatkovich Marian Marianovich
Plavov Peter Sergeevich
Preobrazhenskaya Sofia Petrovna
Rasputin Grigory Efimovich
Rochefort Konstantin Nikolaevich de, Count
Stasov Vasily Petrovich
Stasov Vladimir Vasilievich
Suzor Pavel Yulievich
the Domontoviches
Vaganova Agrippina Yakovlevna
Verevkin Nikolay Nikolaevich
Vitols Jazeps

Addresses
Admiralteysky Ave/Saint Petersburg, city
Bolshaya Morskaya St./Saint Petersburg, city
Gorokhovaya St./Saint Petersburg, city, house 47
Gorokhovaya St./Saint Petersburg, city, house 18
Gorokhovaya St./Saint Petersburg, city
Gorokhovaya St./Saint Petersburg, city, house 61
Gorokhovaya St./Saint Petersburg, city, house 56
Gorokhovaya St./Saint Petersburg, city, house 66
Gorokhovaya St./Saint Petersburg, city, house 64
Gorokhovaya St./Saint Petersburg, city, house 3
Gorokhovaya St./Saint Petersburg, city, house 26
Gorokhovaya St./Saint Petersburg, city, house 19
Gorokhovaya St./Saint Petersburg, city, house 15/75
Gorokhovaya St./Saint Petersburg, city, house 5
Gorokhovaya St./Saint Petersburg, city, house 42
Gorokhovaya St./Saint Petersburg, city, house 6
Gorokhovaya St./Saint Petersburg, city, house 23
Gorokhovaya St./Saint Petersburg, city, house 57
Gorokhovaya St./Saint Petersburg, city, house 54
Gorokhovaya St./Saint Petersburg, city, house 4
Nevsky prospect/Saint Petersburg, city
Voznesensky Ave/Saint Petersburg, city
Zagorodny Avenue/Saint Petersburg, city

Bibliographies
Яковченко Р. Н. Улица Дзержинского. Л., 1974

The subject Index
Semenovsky Life Guards Regiment
Commission for St. Petersburg Construction
Admiralty
Commission for St. Petersburg and Moscow Stone Construction
Pedagogical University