Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу
Entries / St. Anne’s Lutheran Church

St. Anne’s Lutheran Church

Categories / Architecture/Architectural Monuments/Religious Architecture (see also Religion.Church)
Categories / Religion. Church/Places of Worship (see also Architecture and Urban Planning)

ST. ANNE’S LUTHERAN CHURCH, located at 8 Kirochnaya Street, an architectural monument of the Classicist style. It was built in 1775-79 (architect Y. M. Felten) on the place of a brick chapel of the same name, constructed in 1735-40 (architect P. M. Eropkin) for German Lutherans who served in the Foundry Yard (the German for church, Kirche was the origin for the name of the street). The new church could hold 1,500 people. The apse overlooking Furshtatskaya Street was encircled by an Ionic colonnade and crowned with a small cupola on a hexagonal dome drum. The interior was furnished with Ionic columns. The church was adorned with the altar painting Ascension of Christ by E. K. Lipgart. In 1850, an organ of the Walker Company (Germany) was installed. In the early 20th century the congregation numbered about 12,000 people, including young women of Lutheran faith at the Smolny Institute. From 1736, a German school functioned under the church (see Annenschule). Later, the church community founded a board of trustees to look after the poor, almshouses, a children's home, a girls’ orphanage, a hospital in Lesnoi and an agricultural commune for abandoned women. In 1935, the church was closed, in 1939 it was reconstructed to accommodate Spartak Cinema (1939, architects A. I. Gegello, L. S. Kosven), in 1992 the church was returned to the community.

References: Антонов В. В., Кобак А. В. Святыни Санкт-Петербурга: Ист.-церков. энцикл. СПб., 1996. Т. 3. С. 241-242.

S. V. Boglachev.

Eropkin Peter Mikhailovich
Felten Yury (Georg Friedrich) Matveevich
Gegello Alexander Ivanovich
Kosven Lev Savelievich
Lipgart Ernst Karlovich

Kirochnaya St./Saint Petersburg, city, house 8

Антонов В. В., Кобак А. В. Святыни Санкт-Петербурга: Ист.-церков. энцикл.: В 3 т. СПб., 1994-1996

The subject Index
Foundry Yard
Smolny Institute
Annenschule, School


Bubyr A.F. (1876-1919), architect

BUBYR Alexey Fedorovich (1876-1919), architect. Graduated from the College of Civil Engineers (1902). Worked at the Department of Empress Maria’s Institutions (since 1903), taught at the College of Civil Engineers

Felten Y. M. (1730-1801), architect

FELTEN Yury Matveevich (Georg Friedrich) (1730 -1801, St. Petersburg), architect, professor of the Academy of Fine Arts (from 1775; from 1785 a Council member, in 1789-94 director), State Counsellor (1784)

Kirochnaya Street

KIROCHNAYA STREET (in the 18th century, the Fourth Artilleriiskaya Line and Street; in 1932-98, Saltykova-Shchedrina Street), running from Liteiny Avenue to Novgorodskaya Street

Volkovskoe Cemeteries

VOLKOVSKOE CEMETERIES is situated in the north-eastern part of Frunzensky region, the oldest of the St. Petersburg cemeteries functioning today. Volkovskoe Orthodox Cemetery (7а Rasstanny Passage)