Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу
Entries / Ermitazhny (Hermitage) Bridge

Ermitazhny (Hermitage) Bridge

Categories / Architecture/Bridges

ERMITAZHNY (HERMITAGE) BRIDGE (in 1738 Naberezhny, in the middle of the 18th century known as Verkhnenaberezhny, or Zimnedvortsovy; was also called Dvortsovy (Palace) until 1828), across Zimnyaya Kanavka along Dvortsovaya Embankment, near the Hermitage (hence the name). The bridge was built at the same time as the Bolshaya Neva River granite embankments in 1763-66, on the site of a wooden draw bridge which had existed here since 1718-20. The bridge is the oldest stone bridge in St. Petersburg. The opening was covered with brick and limestone vaults with granite courses and decorative arches. The rubble abutments are faced with granite. In 1934, the bridge was replaced with a reinforced concrete bridge with a monolithic arch containing projecting abutments and inner elliptic contour (engineer A.D. Saperstein, architect K.M. Dmitriev, consultant professor G.P. Peredery); the exterior of the bridge was kept intact. Around 1950, the decor of the ramps was restored. The bridge is 22.1 metres long and 15.2 metres wide.

D. Y. Guzevich, S.Z. Suponitsky, N.M. Kozlovskaya.

Dmitriev Konstantin Mikhailovich
Peredery Grigory Petrovich
Saperstein A.D.

Dvortsovaya Embankment/Saint Petersburg, city

The subject Index


Bridges (entry)

BRIDGES, an integral part of the urban planning structure and architectural appearance of St. Petersburg. In 2002, the city numbered 342 bridges of various kinds and types; in Kronstadt: 5 bridges, Pushkin: 54 bridges, Petrodvorets: 51 bridges

Landings, Water (entry)

LANDINGS, WATER. Ship landings were present in St. Petersburg from the first years of its existence. Their location depended on the location and orientation of storage warehouses

Winter Canal

WINTER CANAL was dug from the Palace Embankment to the Moika river embankment by the contractor V. Ozerov (228 meters long, about 20 meters wide, average waterflow of 2m3/s) in 1718-19