Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу
Entries / St. Petersburg Mint

St. Petersburg Mint

Categories / Economy/Industry
Categories / Art/Fine Arts/Art and Craft Production

ST. PETERSBURG MINT, a state enterprise located at 6 Peter and Paul Fortress, was part of the Goznak Company Group of the Ministry of Finance of the Russian Federation. The only coin producer in the country, it was founded in 1724, situated originally within the casemates of Trubetskoy Bastion, and since the mid-18th century on the premises of Naryshkin Bastion as well. At first silver coins were made at the Mint (roubles and half roubles), though in the 1750s production of gold coins became more important. In 1799-1805 a special building was constructed for the Mint on the territory of the fortress by architect A. Porto. In the early 19th century the Mint was equipped with a steam engine. Platinum coins were minted there between 1828 and 45, memorial coins from 1830, and from 1876 all Russian coins (gold, silver, and copper), as well as memorial, jubilee and gratuity medals, hallmarks, and standards for measuring length and weight. Silver roubles and half-roubles, and then smaller coins, started being minted in the early 1920s. Reconstruction took place in 1921-31 -- steam engines were replaced with electric motors, and up-to-date equipment was installed. The transition from the production of aluminium bronze coins to copper-nickel alloys took place in 1926-31. The production of memorial and jubilee medals and plates was revived and the minting of awards, badges, and labour insignias was organised in 1935. From the beginning of the Great Patriotic War in 1941 until 1945, the equipment and the major part of workers were evacuated to Krasnoyarsk, a city in the Permskaya Region. Mint production stopped until 1943, when war medal production was restarted. Coins were reintroduced in 1944. After reestablishment of the Mint in 1946, the volume of production continually rose. In the 1990s it underwent a full technical overhaul. The Mint has repeatedly undertaken orders for the production of new coins and issued over 200 kinds of memorial coins and precious metals. It continues to produce medals and awards, including foreign orders.

Reference: Смирнов М. И. Со знаком "С. П. Б."...: Очерки истории С.-Петерб. Монетного двора, 1724-1994. Тольятти, 1994.

V. S. Solomko.

Porto Antonio

Смирнов М. И. Со знаком "С. П. Б."...: Очерки истории С.-Петерб. Монетного двора, 1724-1994. Тольятти, 1994

The subject Index
St. Peter and Paul fortress
St. Peter and Paul fortress


Bird Charles, (1766-1843), engineer, entrepreneur

BIRD Karl Nikolaevich (Charles) (1766-1843, St. Petersburg), engineer and entrepreneur. A native of Scotland, he lived in Russia from 1786, serving as an assistant to K. K. Gascoigne at Alexandrovsky Gun Works in Petrozavodsk until he moved to St

Commemorative badge To the Residents of Besieged Leningrad

TO THE RESIDENTS OF BESIEGED LENINGRAD, a commemorative medal, instituted by the Executive Committee of the Leningrad Soviet of 23 January 1989. The decoration was conferred upon those people who lived in Leningrad during the siege of 1941-44 for

Evacuations of 1812, 1854-55, 1917

EVACUATIONS OF 1812, 1854-55, 1917. Organised removal of state establishments and state valuables from St. Petersburg during the wars with Napoleonic France due to a fear of the enemy's capturing the city

Holy Trinity Cathedral of the Alexander Nevsky Lavra

HOLY TRINITY CATHEDRAL of the Alexander Nevsky Lavra, located at 1 Monastyrka River Embankment, is an architectural monument of the late Classicism style. Its location in the centre of the Lavra ensemble

Industry (entry)

INDUSTRY was one of the most important parts of the economy of St. Petersburg, developing concurrently with the city and growing along. Due to the country’s foreign policy and geography

Monetnaya Bolshaya Street

MONETNAYA BOLSHAYA STREET, between Kronverkskaya Street and Chapaeva Street. In the second half of the 18th century it was Third Matveevskaya Street (after St. Matthew’s Church)

Olenin A.N., (1763/64-1843), Historian, Artist, Statesman

OLENIN Alexey Nikolaevich (1763 or 1764-1843, St. Petersburg) statesman, archaeologist, philologist, graphic artist, member of the Russian Academy (1786), honorary member of the Academy of Arts (1804), president of the Academy of Arts (1817-43)

Petrogradsky District

PETROGRADSKY DISTRICT, an administrative and territorial unit of St. Petersburg, with its administration located at 19 Bolshaya Monetnaya Street. The district was formed in 1917, and in 1936 the Primorsky District was separated from its territory

St. Peter and Paul fortress

ST. PETER AND PAUL FORTRESS, the historical centre of St. Petersburg, a monument of military engineering, the oldest engineering and architectural sight of the city

Tolstoy F.P., (1783-1873), sculptor

TOLSTOY Fedor Petrovich (1783 - 1873, St. Petersburg), Count, medalist, drawer and painter, Privy Counsellor (1846). Graduated from the Marine Cadet Corps in 1802, served in the fleet, retired in 1804

Trubetskoy Bastion

TRUBETSKOY BASTION, one of 6 bastions of Peter and Paul Fortress, situated in its south-western part. The bastion was built in 1703, of earth and wood under the supervision of prince Y.Y

Zayachy Island

ZAYACHY ISLAND situated in the broadest part of the Neva. In the north, it is separated from Petrogradsky Island with Kronverksky Strait. The island is 28 hectares in area, 900 metres long, and 500 metres wide