Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу
Entries / Admiralty Dockyards

Admiralty Dockyards

Categories / Economy/Industry

ADMIRALTY DOCKYARDS (203 Fontanka Embankment) is a State shipbuilding enterprise. It leads its history from the foundation of the Admiralty Dockyard in 1704. In 1800 some of the workshops were transported to Admiralteisky Island situated downstream the Neva River, close to the delta of Moika River, where the construction of rowing boats for the fleet had been taking place since 1712. Originally the enterprise on the Admiralteisky Island was called Srampaveiny Yard, since 1713 - Galerny Yard, since 1721 - Galernaya Dockyard; in the late 18th century the enterprise was renovated to accommodate construction of large boats, since 1800 it was called the New Admiralty where all shipbuilding works were transferred to gradually (Admiralteiskaya Dockyard was closed in 1843). In 1724 the construction of ships (initially rowing and small sailboats, and later frigates as well) started at Galerny Island, which was situated in the delta of the Fontanka River. The gunboats which provided the defence of the capital from the enemy fleet were built here during the Crimean War of 1853-56. In the early 1860s the dockyards of Galerny Island and the New Admiralty were reequipped into the construction of armoured ships. Peter the Great, the first Russian sea armored ship and one of the most powerful battleships of its time, was launched from the Galerny Island in 1873; Rynda cruiser, the first Russian steel ship, was launched in 1885. In 1908 the New Admiralty and the dockyard of the Galerny Island merged into a single enterprise - Admiralteisky Shipbuilding Plant. By the late 19th century the plant built squadron battleships, later - ships of the line (dreadnoughts), as well as cruisers and other ships. During WW I (1914-18) ships and cars were repaired and ammunition was produced at the enterprise in addition to shipbuilding works. In 1917 the production was sharply reduced, and then stopped. The work was resumed in 1921: the plant was involved in re-equipping of ships for the navy and their repair. In 1922 the enterprise was named after Marti (the former name, Admiralteisky Shipbuilding Plant, was returned in 1957). The plant received an order to build torpedo cutters, a major class of light naval vessels, in 1926 after ratification of the first Soviet shipbuilding program. Initially shipbuilding was revived at the former dockyard of Galerny Island. The former New Admiralty was excluded from the plant with the view of liquidation, which did not happen; since the early 1930s the shipbuilding was revived there as well. A short time thereafter the enterprise focused on making submarines. The plant was named Sudomekh (since 1966 - New Admiralty Plant). During the Great Patriotic War of 1941-45 the plant was partly evacuated, and the rest of equipment was used to produce ammunition, armour platforms, pillbox frames, and to repair ships. Small armour chasers and sea armoured tankers (which provided for defence of communications and participated in landing operation), tenders and barges for the Road of Life were designed and built there. In post-war years light cruisers and submarines (which carried nuclear propulsions since the 1970-90s) were the main enterprise products. Civil shipbuilding which had started in the pre-war period developed intensively as well. Icebreakers built for various purposes (including the Lenin, the first atomic icebreaker), tankers, floating fish-packing factories and repair docks, survey vessels were built there. Consumer goods, such as furniture and sporting goods were produced there as well. In 1972 both of the plants merged once again into a single enterprise - Leningrad Admiralty Union (LAU), which received its present-day name in 1992. In the 1980s the order of the defence sector reached 94% of the total output. A conversion program was implemented in 1991-95.

References: Адмиралтейские верфи: [В 2 т.]. СПб., 1994-1996; Александров В. Л. "Адмиралтейские верфи" в новом тысячелетии: (Состояние и развитие) // Наука, промышленность, сельское хозяйство и культура в Санкт-Петербурге и Ленинградской области на пороге XXI века. СПб., 2000. Т. 2. С. 147-155. sd.

V. S. Solomko.

Fontanka River Embankment/Saint Petersburg, city, house 203

Адмиралтейские верфи: [В 2 т.]. СПб., 1994-1996
Александров В. Л. "Адмиралтейские верфи" в новом тысячелетии: (Состояние и развитие) // Наука, промышленность, сельское хозяйство и культура в Санкт-Петербурге и Ленинградской области на пороге XXI века. СПб., 2000

The subject Index
Admiralty Shipyard
Road of Life


Admiralteisky District

ADMIRALTEISKY DISTRICT, (Admiralty) an administrative territorial unit of St. Petersburg (Its territory administration is located at 10 Izmailovsky Avenue), is one of the central districts of the city


ADMIRALTY, in the 18-19 centuries - a place for the building and repairing of warships, provided with all the necessary equipment (dockyards, ship-ways, slipways, storehouses, workshops, etc.). In St

Aurora, cruiser

AURORA first rank cruiser was founded in 1897 at the New Admiralty dockyard, and became part of the Baltic Fleet in 1903. It weighed over 6,700 tons (in 1917 - 7

Boklevsky K.P., (1862-1928), Ship Building Engineer

BOKLEVSKY, Konstantin Petrovich (1862-1928) was a shipbuilding engineer and Major-General of the College of Naval Architects (1914). He graduated from the Technical College of the Naval Department (1884) and from Nikolaevskaya Naval Academy (1888)

Bolshaya Neva

BOLSHAYA NEVA, the largest left branch of the the Neva river delta; a continuation of the Neva River below the Dvortsovaya Bridge. The Bolshaya Neva flows into the Neva Bay of the Gulf of Finland, in the area surrounded by Vasilievsky Island

Canals of Galley Yard

CANALS OF THE GALLEY YARD were dug at the beginning of the 18th century in the western end of Admiralty Island, at the place of the Galley Yard. In 1711 and 1716

Christ the Saviour Church

CHRIST THE SAVIOUR CHURCH, located at Novo-Admiralteisky Canal Embankment, at the corner of Angliiskaya Embankment. The common name of the Church of Our Saviour, constructed in memory of sailors

Dmitriev A.I. (1879-1959), architect.

DMITRIEV Alexander Ivanovich (1878-1959, Leningrad), architect and architectural critic, Ph.D in architecture (1947), full member of the Academy of Architecture (1939)

Foil Rolling Plant

FOIL ROLLING PLANT (1 Perevoznaya Street), an open joint-stock company from 1992, the only aluminium foil manufacturer in European Russia. It was founded by K. N

Galerny Island

GALERNY ISLAND, (Galley Island), situated at the mouth of the Fontanka River about ten hectares in area. The island was extended to the north by narrowing the right branch of the Fontanka River in the late 18th century

Industrial Architecture (entry)

INDUSTRIAL ARCHITECTURE. Construction of buildings for industrial purposes originally determined the appearance of St. Petersburg and its outskirts. The industrial style buildings included the Admiralty Shipyard, Partikulyarnaya Shipyard

Matisov Island

MATISOV ISLAND situated between the Bolshaya Neva River, Moika River, and Pryazhka River. It is 26 hectares in area, 700 metres long, and 500 metres wide. In the early 18th century, it was called Kalasaari translated as Sloping Island from Finnish

Novo-Admiralteysky Island

NOVO-ADMIRALTEYSKY ISLAND, translated as New Admiralty Island, situated between the Bolshaya Neva River, Moika River, and Novo-Admiralteysky Canal. It was a part of Usadishche Island until the early 18th century

Novo-Admralty Canal

NOVO-ADMIRALTY CANAL (New Admiralty Canal) flowing from the confluence of the Moika River and the Admiraly Canal to the Bolshaya Neva was dug in the first quarter of the 18th century

Podzorny Island

PODZORNY ISLAND (Observation Island) is a defunct island that was situated at the mouth of the Fontanka River and was about two hectares in area. It was named after the Observation House situated on the island in the early 18th century

Ship-building Industry (general article)

SHIP-BUILDING INDUSTRY. From the beginning of the 18th century, St. Petersburg was a centre of Russian ship-building industry. On November 5, 1704, the first shipyard was founded here (see Admiralty Shipyard), by 1710 it employed some 4