Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу
Entries / Sofia


Categories / City Topography/Historical Geography/Historical Districts, Localities, Tracts, Municipal Establishments

SOFIA, the historical name of the town of Pushkin to the south of Catherine Park, between Pavlovskoe Freeway and Krasnoselskoe Freeway. It was founded in 1785 by Empress Catherine II as a chief town of the district. In 1782-88, St. Sofia Cathedral was erected. In 1808, Sofia was deprived of town status and became an outskirt of Tsarskoe Selo, in the 19th - early 20th centuries, quarters and barracks of the Hussar Life Guard Regiment, Rifle Battalion, Cuirassier Regiment of His Majesty and Escort of His Imperial Majesty were located on this territory. There was also an extensive exercise ground, a prison and the house for disabled soldiers. In the 1930s, the Turner Orthopaedic Institute was opened in Sofia and a residential area for the military was developed along Krasnoselskoe Freeway. In the 1950s-60s, industrial and residential development of Sofia was continued. The modern Sofia features the Naval Engineering Institute, a branch of the Military Space Engineering University, a training base of St. Petersburg Military Engineering Technical Institute, an Officers' House and a hospital. To the south of Sofia, Kazanskoe Cemetery with the Church of Our Lady of Kazan (1790, architect G. Quarenghi ) was built in the 18th century.

Е. А. Bondarchuk.

Catherine II, Empress
Quarenghi Giacomo
Turner Henrich Ivanovich

Krasnoselskoe Freeway/Pushkin, town
Pavlovskoe Freeway/Pushkin, town

The subject Index
St. Sofia Cathedral at Tsarskoe Selo
Mozhaysky Military Space Engineering Academy
Kazanskoe Cemetery