Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу
Entries / Shchemilovka


Categories / City Topography/Historical Geography/Historical Districts, Localities, Tracts, Municipal Establishments

SHCHEMILOVKA, an area to the south-east of St. Petersburg, between Farforovskaya Street, the Neva River, Lesnozavodskaya Street, Krasnykh Zor Boulevard and Sortirovochnaya Station of Moskovskaya Railway Line. It was named after a former village, that in its turn was called after Shchemilovka River (today, it doesn't exist). In the 19th - early 20th century, it was an outskirt with a vast quarry and ill-equipped barracks of workers of Imperial Porcelain Works (hence the name of the locality - Farforovaya (Porcelain) Colony) located on its territory. In the late 1920s, the reconstruction of Shchemilovka started: Shchemilovsky housing estate (1929-32) appeared, Volodarsky Bridge was thrown across the Neva River (1936) and the gala building up of Ivanovskaya Street was launched. In the 1950s, the reconstruction and the development of Shchemilovka were completed, with many residential buildings having been constructed; including blocks of flats of large blocks and bearing-wall construction. In 1970, Lomonosovskaya metro station started functioning. The former quarry was turned into a recreation area. On the territory of Shchemilovka, there is a complex of the former Nikolaevsky Orphan's Institute ("Dacha of Kurakin").

Е. А. Bondarchuk, P.Y. Yudin.

Kurakin Alexander Borisovich, Duke
Kurakin Alexey Borisovich, Duke

Farforovskaya St./Saint Petersburg, city
Ivanovskaya Street/Saint Petersburg, city
Krasnykh Zor Boulevard/Saint Petersburg, city
Lesnozavodskaya St./Saint Petersburg, city