Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу Возврат на главную страницу
Entries / Nevskaya Zastava

Nevskaya Zastava

Categories / City Topography/Historical Geography/Historical Districts, Localities, Tracts, Municipal Establishments

NEVSKAYA ZASTAVA (outpost), a historical name of the territory along the left bank of the Neva River from Alexander Nevsky Lavra to Rybatskoe. It encompasses the following historical districts and localities: Steklyanny Settlement (Glass Settlement), Smolenskoe Village, Archangel Michael Village, Schemilovka, Lesnozavodskaya, Alexandrovskoe, Murzinka. The name originates from an 18th century outpost at the entrance to the city. In the 17th - early 18th centuries, small Finnish and Russian settlements were located there. The construction of Arkhangelogorodsky, or Shlisselburgsky, state high road (today Obukhovskoy Oborony Avenue) launched in the 1720s initiated the active development of the territory. Settlements and villages appeared along the road. In the second half of the 18th century, country estates of G.A. Potemkin (Ozerki), the Kurakin, Apraksin and other families were constructed. In 1744, Nevskaya Porcelain Manufactory (today Lomonosov Porcelain Works) was founded. In the 1780s, glass-works and mirror plant were constructed close to the estate of Potemkin. In 1851, a line of the Petersburg-Moscow railway was built along the western boundary of Nevskaya Zastava. In the second half of the 19th - early 20th centuries, Nevskaya Zastava remained an industrial outskirt of St. Petersburg, there the largest industrial enterprises were located: Semyannikov's Shipyard and Machine-Building Plant (today Nevsky Plant), Alexandrovsky Mechanical Plant of Nikolaevskaya railway (today Oktyabrsky Car Repair Plant and Proletarsky Plant), Obukhovsky Steelworks of the Naval Ministry (today Obukhovsky Plant), Petrovsko-Spasskaya Manufactory (today Rabochy Spinning- and Weaving-Mill), Cotton-Printing Manufactory of K.Y. Pal and others. In 1901, a conflict between workers and the police, known as Obukhovskaya Oborona (Obukhovo defence), occurred here (hence the modern name of the main thoroughfare of Nevskaya Zastava). Up to the 1920s, Nevskaya Zastava remained an underdeveloped workers' outskirt: a warren of entangled streets with small wooden houses and barracks for workers alternated with the territory of industrial enterprises and vast vacant grounds (Belevskoe Field, Troitskoe Field, etc.). In 1926-32, residential blocks Palevsky (the corner of Obukhovskoy Oborony Avenue and Elizarova Avenue), Tekstilshchik (Tkachey Street), Shchemilovsky (Farforovskaya Street) and Troitskogo Polya (Rabfakovskaya Street) were constructed, the building of Volodarsky District Soviet, Volodarsky House of Culture, Krupskaya House of Culture and Lenin House of Culture were erected in the course of reconstruction of Nevskaya Zastava. In the 1930s, Volodarsky Bridge was constructed across the Neva River, the development of Ivanovskaya Street was launched. At the same time, existing industrial enterprises were reconstructed and new ones were founded, including the Kirov Flour Milling Plant and Voroshilov Machine Building Plant (today Zvezda Plant), etc. In 1941-44, the territory of Nevskaya Zastava was severely damaged by bombardment and artillery fire. In the 1950-60s, modern planning and architecture of the district were formed. In 1970, metro stations Elizarovskaya and Lomonosovskaya were opened, in 1981 Proletarskaya and Obukhovo metro stations were also opened. In 1970, a passenger river-boat station was put into operation; in 1972, Nevsky Palace of Culture welcomed first visitors. In 1974, the longest in the city automobile overbridge that bound Nevskaya Zastava and Kupchino was constructed over the lines of Sortirovochnaya Railway Station. Among architectural and historical monuments of the area is the chapel of Our Lady’s Church of Joy for All Who Sorrow (24 Obukhovskoy Oborony Avenue), the buildings of Bekhterev Psychoneurologic Institute (1-3 Bekhtereva Street) and Nevskaya Zastava Museum of Local Lore and History (23 Novo-Alexandrovskaya Street) are just a few that can be mentioned.

Reference: Лунев В. С. Невский район. Л., 1970.

Е. А. Bondarchuk, P.Y. Yudin.

Bekhterev Vladimir Mikhailovich
Kirov (real name Kostrikov) Sergey Mironovich
Krupskaya Nadezhda Konstantinovna
Lenin (real name Ulyanov) Vladimir Ilyich
Pal Karl Yakovlevich
Potemkin Grigory Alexandrovich, Gracious Prince of Tauride
the Apraksins
the Kurakins, Dukes
Voroshilov Kliment Efremovich

Bekhtereva St./Saint Petersburg, city, house 3
Bekhtereva St./Saint Petersburg, city, house 1
Elizarova Avenue/Saint Petersburg, city
Farforovskaya St./Saint Petersburg, city
Ivanovskaya Street/Saint Petersburg, city
Novo-Alexandrovskaya St./Saint Petersburg, city, house 23
Obukhovskoy Oborony Ave/Saint Petersburg, city
Obukhovskoy Oborony Ave/Saint Petersburg, city, house 24
Rabfakovskaya St./Saint Petersburg, city
Tkachey Street/Saint Petersburg, city

Лунев В. С. Невский район. Л.,, 1970

The subject Index
Alexander Nevsky Lavra
Lomonosov Porcelain Factory
Nevsky Plant
Proletarsky Zavod, Manufacturing Association
Obukhovsky Plant
Obukhovskaya Defence (1901)
Bekhterev Psycho-neurological Research Institute, The St. Petersburg